GEARED PROPULSION TURBO ALTERNATORS FOR THE SECOND RANGATIRA
This twin screw turboelectric passenger and vehicle ferry has machinery developing 20,500 shp. The propulsion alternators are closed air circuit water-cooled salient-pole 7900 kva 1.0 pf 3.3 kv 1730 rpm machines. The water-tight alternator baseplate accommodates the motor-driven cooling fans, seawater circulated cooler and other items of propulsion circuitry. Excitation is by a static system which provides constant volts-per-cycle operation over the full working range and the comprehensive control equipment permits considerable flexibility and plant operation. The alternators supply current to a pair of double-unit forced-ventilated synchronous induction motors rated 10,250 shp at 231 rpm. These motors are also of salient pole type and have squirrel cage starting windings incorporated in the rotor pole faces. Each comprises a single frame containing two electrically separate machines, the two rotors being mounted on a single shaft by self-lubricated bearings incorporated in the end shields.
Whitehall Technical Press LimitedWrotham Place
Wrotham, Sevenoaks, Kent ME14 1PE, England
- Publication Date: 1970-2
- Pagination: 109 p.
- Marine Engineer and Naval Architect
- Issue Number: n1127
- Publisher: Whitehall Technical Press Limited
- TRT Terms: Electric power; Electrical systems; Ferries; Induction motors; Propulsion
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00015180
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 13 1973 12:00AM