UNDERWATER NONDESTRUCTIVE TESTING OF SHIP HULL WELDS
Techniques are presented whereby nondestructive testing of hull butt welds can be accomplished underwater. Radiography, ultrasonic inspection, and magnetic particle testing are discussed including the modifications necessary for underwater applications. In all cases, trained divers are required.
Naval Surface Weapons CenterWhite Oak Laboratories
Silver Spring, MD United States 20901
Naval Ship Engineering Center3700 East-West Highway
Hyattsville, MD United States 20782
- Youshaw, R A
- Dyer, C
- Publication Date: 1979-9
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Butt welds; Holography; Hulls; Inspection; Nondestructive tests; Radiography; Ultrasonic tests; Weld tests; Welding; Welds
- Uncontrolled Terms: Underwater inspection
- Old TRIS Terms: Holographic techniques; Hull welding; Weld inspection
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00302279
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC-293 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: Z70099-671375
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 19 1979 12:00AM