UNDERSTANDING FEDERAL TRANSPORTATION REGULATORY CHANGE: A STUDY OF ONE SET OF ENERGY-TRANSPORT POLICY-MAKING MECHANISMS
This paper presents information that may help transportation researchers to influence Federal actions on economic regulatory reform. Many papers report on the findings of studies made to analyze the implications of regulatory reform and then are immediately forgotten. This paper reports on an attempt to provide a means for avoiding this situation in a related regulatory change research area. First, it describes specific Federal agency policy-making channels in a major area of transportation regulation, namely energy materials transport. Then it suggests methods for stimulating these channels in a major area of transportation regulation, namely energy materials transport. Then it suggests methods for stimulating these channels toward implementation of regulatory and legislative energy-conservation policies in this area. Because of the multi-modal pervasiveness of energy materials transport and today's increasing importance of transportation fuel costs, it is anticipated that understanding these policy-making channels and implementation techniques can also benefit transportation economic reform researchers.
- From joint national meeting of the Institute of Management Sciences and the Operations Research Society of America; New Orleans, Louisiana, April 30, 1979.
Argonne National Laboratory9700 South Cass Avenue
Argonne, IL United States 60439
- BERTRAM, K M
- Bernard III, M J
- Publication Date: 1979
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Competition; Costs; Decision making; Deregulation; Energy; Energy conservation; Fuels; Petroleum; Policy; Regulation; Regulations; Transportation; Transportation modes; Transportation policy
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fuel costs
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Energy transport; Energy transportation; Government policies; Government regulations; National transportation policies
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Energy; Law; Policy; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00302134
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: CONF-790455--2
- Contract Numbers: W-31-109-ENG-38
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 19 1979 12:00AM