A METHOD FOR ECONOMIC TRADE OFFS OF ALTERNATE SHIP STRUCTURAL MATERIALS
A method for evaluating the desirability of any proposed material in merchant ship structure has been developed. This method compares a ship designed of the new material with a similar steel ship. Comparison includes a life-cycle cost analysis and a quantified evaluation of non-economic factors. Formalized techniques for establishing the material data bank, selecting the steel ship design, developing and optimizing the new material design, and conducting the economic and non-economic comparisons are described. A sample calculation, using 5456 aluminum in a bulk ore carrier, is included to illustrate the method.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/ProjectSR1222
- Sponsored by the Naval Sea Systems Command.
Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock CompanyNewport News, VA USA 23607
- Jordan, C R
- Montgomery, J B
- Krumpen Jr, R P
- Wooley, D J
- Publication Date: 1979
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 135 p.
- TRT Terms: Economic analysis; Materials selection; Ships; Steel; Structural analysis; Structural design; Vehicle design
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship design
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic analysis (Materials selection); Materials evaluation; Steel selection
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Marine Transportation; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00301361
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: Project SR-1222
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC-289 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00024-77-C-5323
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 7 1979 12:00AM