ICE NAVIGATION CAPABILITIES OF "LUNNI" CLASS ICEBREAKING TANKERS
The "Lunni"-Class ships are 16,000-dwt tankers owned and operated by Neste Oy, a Government-owned oil company in Finland. A basic requirement of these ships was that they should be capable of operating in normal ice conditions throughout the Baltic, independently of ice-breaker assistance. Following a general description of the ships and their ice-related features, in particular the Wartsila Air Bubbling System (WABS) with which they are fitted, the paper gives an account of trials of one of the ships in ice. These trails were conducted with the second ship of the series, the Sotka, in the Gulf of Finland and the Gulf of Bothnia in severe ice conditions. Test results are presented, demonstrating the efficiency of WABS in maintaining the icebreaking capability of the ship.
- Paper presented 21 November 1977 to the Eastern Canadian Section.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Makinen, E
- Roos, R
- Publication Date: 1977-11-22
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Ice navigation; Icebreakers; Icebreaking; Ship trials; Tankers
- Old TRIS Terms: Air bubbling systems; Ship descriptions; Ship descriptions (Tankers)
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00301333
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 27 1979 12:00AM