Blue growth and ocean governance—how to balance the use and the protection of the seas
The economic value of the oceans and maritime industry is strongly gaining in importance. As the oceans are very large and particularly sensitive ecosystems, which need to be preserved, a balance between the use and the protection of the seas has to be found. On this issue, the paper presents some thoughts starting with a brief analysis of what to understand by maritime industry which is labeled as blue economy, and a recapitulation of the main threats for the marine environment, caused by blue economy. After that, some noteworthy prerequisites and criteria for finding a sound balance between the use and the protection of the seas will be highlighted, especially the need for sustainable ocean governance is put to discussion.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/1651436X
- © 2016 Peter Ehlers.
- Ehlers, Peter
- Publication Date: 2016-10
- Media Type: Web
- Features: References;
- Pagination: pp 187-203
- TRT Terms: Economic models; Environmental protection; Governance; Maritime industry; Maritime law; Sustainable development
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 01611295
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 15 2016 3:43PM