Environmental Noise Mitigation Measures for Lithuanian Railway Network
Railways are one of the most environmentally friendly types of transport. Rail transport requires less energy and emits less hazardous substances, but the biggest issue with railways is environmental noise pollution. To reduce this noise different measures could be implemented in different places – at the source, between the source and the receiver, at the receiver. Unfortunately today in Lithuanian rail transport is not a very popular means of transport amongst travellers. Therefore, it is necessary to reconstruct railway lines to increase train speed, comfort for passengers, etc. In order to promote its development, minimal impact on environmental noise pollution must be ensured. Various parameters of track influence the level of emitted noise. This article presents an overview of noise mitigation measures in Lithuanian railway design documentation (rail type, wheel roughness, rail dampers, noise barriers, exchange of brake blocks, rail grinding, noise insulated windows, etc.) and also a comparison of their effectiveness.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/23521465
- © 2016 Aja Tumavice et al. Published by Elsevier B.V.
- Tumavice, Aja
- Laurinavicius, A.
- Jagniatinskis, Aleksandras
- Vaitkus, A.
- 6th Transport Research Arena (TRA2016)
- Location: Warsaw , Poland
- Date: 2016-4-18 to 2016-4-21
- Publication Date: 2016
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: pp 2704-2713
- Transportation Research Procedia
- Volume: 14
- Publisher: Elsevier
- ISSN: 2352-1465
- Serial URL: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/23521465/
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Noise; Noise control; Railroads
- Identifier Terms: Lithuanian Railways
- Geographic Terms: Lithuania
- Subject Areas: Environment; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 01607948
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 29 2016 8:33AM