Traffic/Road Noise Mitigation under Modified Asphalt Pavements
Road traffic noise is one of the largest trend environmental problems, which causes a lot of negative effects to people's health and countries’ economies. Road traffic noise abatement and mitigation is a huge challenge for National Road Authorities (NRAs), which, in the context of decreasing budgets, have not only to maintain sufficient level of their road networks, but also to meet the environmental requirements and society needs. Despite the wide experience of noise reducing asphalt mixtures development and application in European countries, the same effective solution cannot be adapted in all countries because of the regional differences of climate and traffic conditions. For these reasons, Lithuania has started a set of research works related with noise reducing asphalt mixtures development for Lithuanian climate conditions, which could be characterized as a harsh climate condition with a high number of annual frost-thaw cycles. This article presents the laboratory research phase of noise reducing asphalt mixtures. Optimization of traditional asphalt mixtures stone matrix asphalt (SMA) and asphalt concrete (AC) were performed to increase noise reduction properties while at the same time retaining sufficient durability. Conventional and innovative laboratory testing methods were applied. The paper provides results of laboratory testing and analytical analysis of the tested asphalt mixtures' properties. Summarized research conclusions and recommendations for further activities are presented in the article.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/23521465
- © 2016 Audrius Vaitkus et al. Published by Elsevier B.V.
- Vaitkus, A.
- Cygas, Donatas
- Vorobjovas, V.
- Andriejauskas, T.
- 6th Transport Research Arena (TRA2016)
- Location: Warsaw , Poland
- Date: 2016-4-18 to 2016-4-21
- Publication Date: 2016
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: pp 2698-2703
- Transportation Research Procedia
- Volume: 14
- Publisher: Elsevier
- ISSN: 2352-1465
- Serial URL: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/23521465/
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Asphalt concrete; Asphalt mixtures; Asphalt pavements; Climate; Laboratory tests; Noise control; Optimization; Stone matrix asphalt; Tire/pavement noise; Traffic; Traffic noise
- Geographic Terms: Lithuania
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 01607918
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 29 2016 8:33AM