Analysis of Public Transport Commuters’ Travel Characteristics Based on Smart Card Data

The travel patterns of transit commuters were analyzed based on the smartcard data collected from Shenzhen, China. Among the entire dataset (from 5th to 30th, March, 2012), the commuters’ card id were firstly identified based on the observations of individuals’ smartcard usage in workdays. Then, travel characteristics as well as statistics of the identified commuters were obtained, such as first-boarding time in workdays, average number of boardings per day for different types of cards and so on. Travel patterns and regularities of the identified commuters were analyzed by the use of two-step clustering method, and 2 clusters were automatically determined. Commuters belonging to the Cluster 1 (54.6%) have shown a travel pattern of high-intensity workday transit usage with better continuity, however, by contrast, the rest in Cluster 2 (45.4%) seem not to rely so much on the public transit for their commute to work.

  • Record URL:
  • Supplemental Notes:
    • Abstracts used with permission of ERTICO – ITS Europe.
  • Corporate Authors:

    ERTICO - ITS Europe

    Avenue Louise 326, Blue Tower, 2nd Floor
    Brussels,   Belgium  B-1050
  • Authors:
    • Sun, Shichao
    • Yang, Dongyuan
  • Conference:
  • Publication Date: 2015

Language

  • English

Media Info

  • Media Type: Digital/other
  • Features: Figures; References; Tables;
  • Pagination: 12p
  • Monograph Title: 22nd ITS World Congress. Proceedings

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 01603800
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Report/Paper Numbers: ITS-1420
  • Files: TRIS
  • Created Date: Jun 28 2016 10:49AM