Simulation and the Lean Port Environment
This paper considers the applicability of simulation tools in the development of lean ports and lean ports networks. To achieve its objective the paper analyses how container terminal operations work, gives an introduction to simulation, and provides an insight how simulation has been used in a port environment. The focus on a container terminal can be explained by the need to optimise resources, by the capability of a terminal to achieve very fast cargo handling rates, and by the simplification of intermodal transfer. The use of simulation tools has been of growing importance in port activities, especially when these are limited by physical constraints. This paper describes port industry operations, simulation, and assessment of the impact of simulation on the development of lean ports and lean ports networks.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/13881973
- Copyright © 2005 Macmillan Publishers Ltd.
- Casaca, Ana C Paixão
- Publication Date: 2005-9
- Media Type: Web
- Features: References;
- Pagination: pp 262-280
- TRT Terms: Container handling; Environment; Evaluation and assessment; Intermodal services; Optimization; Ports; Simulation; Terminal operations
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 01606794
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 27 2016 11:18AM