PACKAGED CONCEPT APPLIED TO AUTOMATION FOR PROPULSION SYSTEMS
A design study has been made by Vickers Ltd in conjunction with Negretti and Zambra to produce a modular instrument system for sale with the MAN medium-speed engines produced at the Vickers Engineering Works. The Vickers/Negretti and Zambra approach is to install all the transducers on the engine at the construction stage and wire them to a common junction box. The indicators and alarms are fitted into specially designed cases or modules which can be mounted together in stacks without additional support. Alternatively, the cases can be inserted into racks, panels or consoles. Seven basic inserts are available for the cases, which between them will carry out all the functions required for an unmanned engine-room, including the automatic starting up of standby equipment. Thus, apart from installing transducers on external equipment, the shipbuilder has only to cable from the engine to the modules with consequent notable saving in engineering costs. Also associated with the propulsion package is a fuel system in which heavy oil is processed so that the asphalt and waxy bodies in it are uniformly blended.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/7260964
Engineering, Chemical and Marine Press, Limited33-39 Bowling Green Lane
London EC1P 1AH, England
- Publication Date: 1970-3
- Pagination: 603 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic control; Diesel engines; Engine rooms; Fuel systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Diesel control systems
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00015158
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 13 1973 12:00AM