MEASUREMENT OF FREIGHT CAR WHEEL QUALITY
A random selection of freight car wheels of 28-, 33-, and 36-in. dia was made from the production inventory of several wheel manufacturers and various measurements were taken. Among the quantities measured were imbalance, out-of-roundness, eccentricity, and weight variation. The paper outlines the procedures used to gather the data and includes a tabulation of the results. It also proposes that further work be done to relate wheel quality to freight car ride quality.
- Rail Transportation Proceedings, Papers and discussions from joint IEEE-ASME Railroad Conference, Jacksonville, Florida, 14-15 March 1972.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10016-5990
- Taylor, A O
- Publication Date: 1972
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Freight cars; Wheels
- Old TRIS Terms: Wheel quality measurement
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00051278
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: 72-RT-5
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 18 1974 12:00AM