ENGINEERING FOR MAINTENANCE-FREE FREIGHT CARS
Freight car construction has passed a phase where car design was aimed at lowest cost acceptable for interchange. This paper discusses the advantages and economics available from engineering cars to surpass minimum requirements and with a goal of minimizing future expenditures for maintenance. The ultimate car would remain serviceable throughout its first cycle of life without repairs other than "service-station" type.
- Rail Transportation Proceedings, Papers and discussions from joint IEEE-ASME Railroad Conference, Jacksonville, Florida, 14-15 March 1972.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10016-5990
- McLean, L S
- Publication Date: 1972
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 19 p.
- TRT Terms: Engineering economy; Freight cars; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight car design
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00051277
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: 72-RT-4
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 18 1974 12:00AM