NATIONAL COOPERATIVE HIGHWAY RESEARCH PROGRAM. SUMMARY OF PROGRESS THROUGH 1973
This summary of progress NCHRP programs describes how programs are formulated, the financing for the program and how the NCHRP is organized to administer research programs. The contracting of the projects, surveillance of the research and the systematic planning for implementing the results of the research are outlined. Examples are presented of the utilization of NCHRP research results. Research problems from the American Association of State Highway Officials (AASHO) are initiated on an annual basis. The many steps between initiation and the time of the final report, are illustrated in a flow chart. Each research problem is screened to determine its merits. The technical merits are then evaluated in depth, and final priorities are placed on them. The programs received to date are reviewed. The activities are discussed of the advisory committee established to consider all matters relating to policies and procedures required for planning and administration of the program. Project statements based on the research problem referred by the AASHO are sent to some 3,000 individuals and research agencies. A proposal may be made by any agency with extensive, demonstrated capability in the area in question. All proposals are then evaluated in a uniform manner. Following the selection, contracts are executed between the Academy and the research agency. The conduct of the research is followed by a staff engineer. Summaries are tabulated of projects for FY '63 through FY '74. The promotion of useful results and the NCHRP reporting of research results are outlined. Examples of the utilization of results are summarized in tables. Details are given of the progress of projects in 22 areas: pavements; economics; traffic operations and control; general materials; illumination and visibility; snow and ice control; traffic planning; urban transportation; bituminous materials; specifications, procedures and practices; law; bridges; equipment; maintenance of way and structures; general design; roadside development; safety; concrete materials; finance; special projects; testing and instrumentation; and vehicle barrier systems.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1973
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 127 p.
- NCHRP Summary of Progress
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- TRT Terms: Administration; Barriers (Roads); Construction; Design; Economics; Equipment; Flow charts; Highway operations; Instrumentation; Materials; Pavements; Policy; Research; Reviews; Safety; Snow and ice control; Traffic; Urban transportation; Visibility
- Uncontrolled Terms: Barriers
- Old TRIS Terms: Flow diagrams
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Construction; Design; Economics; Highways; Materials; Operations and Traffic Management; Pavements; Policy; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00272025
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Sep 30 1974 12:00AM