DENSE ASPHALT AS A STRUCTURAL SYSTEM FOR WEARING COURSES--REPORT ON THE SURFACING "FLUDOBIT"
KOMPAKTASPHALT ALS BAUSYSTEM FUER VERSCHLEISSSCHICHTEN - REPORT UEBER DEN MARKENBELAG "FLUDOBIT"
"Foudobit" dense asphalt is a bituminous wearing course which is similar to fine asphaltic concrete, in which the normal filler is replaced by WG 2000 manufactured by the welrather Kalksteinwerke; this has a grading of 0/0.4 mm and is made of limestone dust, sharp-edged sands and asbestos with an admixture of anti-stripping agents. The surfacing should be comparable to Gussasphalt, requires no residue of voids, and is thus an extremely dense fine asphaltic concrete. This structure and the mechanical properties of the material are described. An example is given of the design of an 0/12 mm "fludobit" surfacing. The material can be manufactured with great uniformity. Experimental sections of road totalling 8 km are laid on the B 8 north of Duesseldorf and on the munich-Salzburg motorway, and are being compared with normal asphaltic concrete sections. No loss of mortar occurs under traffic wear, the skidding resistance is good. The material is incorporated with a finisher and hardly needs rolling if a compaction trailer is used.
Verlagsgesellschaft Rudof MuellerStolberger Strasse 84
D-5000 Koeln-41, Germany
- Kilian, G
- Publication Date: 1972-6
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: p. 39-43
- Volume: 25
- Issue Number: 13
- TRT Terms: Adhesion; Admixtures; Bituminous mixtures; Density; Fillers (Materials); Limestone fillers; Sand; Skid resistance; Wearing course (Pavements)
- ITRD Terms: 5942: Adhesion; 4736: Admixture; 4528: Asbestos; 4599: Filler; 3623: Laying; 4714: Mix design; 4989: Rolled asphalt; 3031: Skidding resistance; 5293: Wear; 2980: Wearing course
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00265582
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Bundesanstalt für Straßenwesen (BASt)
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1975 12:00AM