A New Tool to Assess the Costs and Effectiveness of Traffic Crash Interventions
A free, online tool, Motor Vehicle Prioritizing Interventions and Cost Calculator for States (MV PICCS), generates state-specific cost-effectiveness estimates for countermeasures. MV PICCS allows users to compare 14 interventions and their estimated effectiveness in reducing fatalities in different types of crashes. This article examines how the tool can be used to address three policy questions: should interventions be selected nationally or state-by-state; what is the most cost-effective way to allocate an increase in funding for interventions; and, what is the most cost-effective way to reduce drunk driving. Limitations on applications of the tool are noted.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/614107147
- Abstract reprinted with permission from the Institute of Transportation Engineers.
- Ecola, Liisa
- Ringel, Jeanne S
- Publication Date: 2016-4
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: pp 29-33
- TRT Terms: Cost effectiveness; Countermeasures; Drunk driving; Economic analysis; Evaluation and assessment; Fatalities
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 01598133
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 18 2016 4:57PM