Overview of Safety Countermeasures for Roadway Departure Crashes
A roadway departure (RwD) happens when a vehicle leaves the traveled way (crossing an edge line or a centerline). Many safety countermeasures have recently been implemented by states to mitigate RwD crashes. This paper presents a summary of various case examples that provide transportation practitioners with a good understanding of RwD safety countermeasure effectiveness. Fourteen case studies involving three categories of countermeasures (signs, pavement safety, and roadside design) were used to review effectiveness.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/614107147
- Abstract reprinted with permission from the Institute of Transportation Engineers.
- Jalayer, Mohammad
- Zhou, Huaguo
- Publication Date: 2016-2
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; Photos; References;
- Pagination: pp 39-46
- TRT Terms: Case studies; Countermeasures; Ran off road crashes; Road markings; Roadside; Traffic control devices
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 01597904
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 11 2016 2:09PM