Appraisal of a Demolished Monorail System
The demolished monorail system on Sentosa Island (Singapore) was in operation from 23 February 1982 to 16 March 2005. The appraisal of the conditions of the monorail system from late 1992 to early 1993 revealed that a large proportion of welds of the butt-welded joints were of a rejectable quality in accordance to British Standards. Despite this deficiency, the operation of the monorail had been satisfactory for 23 years. A load test performed on a Sunday with the highest rate of usage and heaviest loading showed that the steel box girder of the monorail track was lightly loaded. This paper will present a brief summary of various aspects of the appraisal and some of the lessons learned.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/08873828
- © 2016 American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Kog, Yue Choong
- Publication Date: 2016-12
- Media Type: Web
- Pagination: 04016038
- TRT Terms: Box girders; Load tests; Maintenance; Monorail transportation; Railroad tracks; Steel; Structural health monitoring; Welds
- Geographic Terms: Sentosa Island (Singapore)
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 01601998
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, ASCE
- Created Date: Apr 5 2016 3:02PM