Analytical Study of Transient Coupling between Vessel Motion and Liquid Sloshing in Multiple Tanks
The transient coupling between the vessel motion and liquid sloshing in multiple tanks is investigated. External disturbance factors (e.g., spring constraint or force field) that might affect the oscillation characters of the coupling system are not involved so that the vessel motion is only excited by the liquid sloshing in tanks. The analytical solution for this coupling problem has been derived based on the potential flow theory, which converts the problem to a linear system of ordinary differential equations. The approach to determine natural frequencies of the coupling system is also given. The vessel with one or more rectangular tanks is considered for cases studies. Effects of factors, such as vessel mass, number of tanks, tank configuration and free-surface deformation on the vessel motion, liquid sloshing, and mechanical-energy components of the system are studied systematically.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/07339399
- © 2016 American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Zhang, Chongwei
- Publication Date: 2016-7
- Media Type: Web
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 04016034
- TRT Terms: Free surface; Heaving (Ship motion); Oscillation; Sloshing; Tanks (Containers); Vessel operations
- Subject Areas: Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 01595635
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, ASCE
- Created Date: Mar 2 2016 3:03PM