FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS OF AUTOMOBILE STRUCTURES
This paper reviews the success of efforts to predict linear static, dynamic, and nonlinear transient behavior of car components and structural systems. It relates the analysis accuracy to essential features of car structure. It shows how these features, the existing level of equality control of structural characteristics during fabrication and assembly, and the complexity of geometry, conspire to make accurate simulation using current practices unnecessarily costly, in dollars and time. It reviews work currently being done to justify broader use of numerical methods in the industry.
- From the International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics.
New York, NY USA 10017
- Melosh, R J
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: p. 26-38
- TRT Terms: Accuracy; Automobiles; Dynamic loads; Finite element method; Numerical analysis; Quality control; Statics; Structural analysis; Transient analyzers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response; Static response; Transient response
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00264147
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE Paper No. 740319Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 31 1974 12:00AM