THE AUTOMATIC COUPLER
The conversion of existing cars to automatic couplers is discussed. The various operations for replacing the couplers are shown. A brief report is made on the testing of 300 of the couplers. Five series of tests were made in the climatization chamber of the Vienna Arsenal Federal Research Institute. Field tests were also conducted under severe climatic conditions. The pipe joints were not capable of coping with the extremely low temperatures. A 100-axle freight train was tested during the summer, to determine the effects of longitudinal play between the couplers on ride quality. Four cars in the middle of the train derailed during emergency braking from 10 km/h.
- Question B51. Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1967-7
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: p. 15-18
- TRT Terms: Automatic train operation; Braking; Couplers; Derailments; Design; Field tests; Freight trains; Low temperature; Railroad trains; Ride quality; Temperature
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b51; Wheel lift
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00039539
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: ORE Pub-25
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 5 1976 12:00AM