PREVENTION OF DERAILMENT OF GOODS WAGONS ON DISTORTED TRACKS
A mathematical study is presented to determine the critical value of relative wheel unloading of the leading wheel of a freight car on a track twist. Also determined are the maximum track twist which can safely be negotiated by a vehicle and the measures which need to be taken to adapt freight cars to meet the standard without modification of the torsional stiffness. The standard adopted by the Specialists Committee B55 of the ORE is a maximum permissible relative wheel unloading equal to 0.6, at a maximum permissible track twist of 7 percent.
- Question B55. Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1967-1
- Pagination: p. 27-29
- TRT Terms: Curved track; Derailments; Freight cars; Mathematical models; Railroad cars; Railroad tracks; Safety; Standards; Torsion; Wheel loads
- Old TRIS Terms: Mathematical studies; Question b55
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00039490
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: ORE Pub-24
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 5 1976 12:00AM