THE SURFACE ROUGHNESS AND TURBULENT WALL FRICTION ON SHIP-HULLS. INTERACTION IN THE VISCOUS SUBLAYER
Measurements of the roughness function for several ship-hulls with varying surface roughness are shown and the lack of any observable pattern with respect to the roughness height, as a sole correlating parameter, is pointed out. A practical criterion is developed for a turbulent boundary layer on a rough flat plate with zero pressure gradient. Order from NSFI as No. 17430.
- Proceedings International Symposium on Ship Viscous Resistance, Aug 31-Sept 1, 1978.
Swedish State Shipbuilding Experimental TankP.O. Box 24001
S-40022 Goteborg 24, Sweden
- Lewkowicz, A K
- Musker, A J
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 28 p.
- TRT Terms: Atmospheric pressure; Boundary layer; Fluid resistance; Hulls; Resistance (Mechanics); Roughness; Turbulence; Turbulent boundary layer; Viscosity
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hull resistance
- Old TRIS Terms: Hull roughness; Pressure gradient; Viscous resistance
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00300774
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Research Institute of Norway
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 7 1979 12:00AM