The panel on coal mining technology of the NRC committee on processing and utilization of fossil fuels was appointed to assess the distribution and quality of the nation's coal reserve, underground and surface mining techniques, processing techniques, manpower and transportation requirements, the environmental impact of coal mining, and other social and regulatory issues. The worsening energy shortage and the recent decline in coal mining productivity stimulated the panel to consider all factors influencing coal mining activities so that it could make recommendations for improving the environmental acceptability of coal mining and the health and safety of miners while also increasing productivity and improving the economics of coal mining. Nine conclusions are outlined and eight recommendations are presented.
National Academy of Sciences2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20418
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 100 p.
- TRT Terms: Coal; Coal industry; Coal mining; Coal resources; Environmental impacts; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Regulations; Traffic forecasting
- Old TRIS Terms: Government regulations
- Subject Areas: Environment; Freight Transportation; Law; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00300610
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Energy Research Abstracts
- Contract Numbers: EX-76-C-01-1216
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 7 1979 12:00AM