INTERLABORATORY PRECISION OF THE MEASUREMENT OF BITUMEN VISCOSITY AND THE INCREASE IN VISCOSITY PRODUCED BY THE ROLLING THIN FILM OVEN TREATMENT
An interlaboratory testing scheme in which nine laboratories participated and tested three different bitumens was undertaken to assess the precision of measurement of the viscosity of bitumen and the increase in viscosity produced by the rolling thin film oven (rtfo) treatment. All testing was to be done according to the standard specification as 2008, 1977. Results indicated that the precision of viscosity testing at 60, 70 and 135 degrees centigrade was satisfactory and estimates of the precision of the measurement of the increase in viscosity at 60 and 70 degrees centigrade produced by rtfo treatment were obtained. Two of the bitumens tested showed "steric" hardening at 60 degrees centigrade and the poor precision of measurements of apparent viscosity at 25 degrees centigrade on the shell sliding plate viscometer was attributed in part to this behaviour. Poor precision for the ductility at 15 degrees centigrade after rtfo treatment was obtained. /Author/TRRL/
ARRB Group Ltd.Vermont South, Victoria Australia
- Dickinson, E J
- Publication Date: 1978-2
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: 23 p.
- TRT Terms: Bitumen; Density; Ductility; Errors; Laboratories; Measurement; Standards; Tests; Viscosity
- ITRD Terms: 4963: Bitumen; 5908: Density; 5909: Ductility; 6440: Error; 6237: Laboratory (not an organization); 187: Specification (standard); 6255: Test; 5936: Viscosity
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials; Safety and Human Factors; I31: Bituminous Binders and Materials;
- Accession Number: 00300316
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB Group Ltd.
- Report/Paper Numbers: AIR 820-1 Monograph
- Files: ITRD, TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Oct 17 1979 12:00AM