A SHORT-RANGE TRANSIT DEVELOPMENT STUDY
The study area that is the focus of this report includes the cities of Tuscaloosa and Northport, Alabama, and the unicorporated areas of Holt and Cottondale. Community and operational transit desires and requirements were set forth in the form of goals and objectives; and transit recommendations made in accordance with them. These recommendations include a five-year transit development program, an analysis of long-range transit potential in Tuscaloosa and recommendations for a shuttle bus system on the University of Alabama campus. Important recommendations include: (1) a replacement of all vehicular equipment now owned or leased by the Tuscaloosa County Parking and Transit Authority and the construction of new office and garage facilities; (2) an increase in all transit service and route coverage; (3) the implementation of a transit program that is cognizant of public attitudes; and (4) a shuttle bus system on the University campus to meet present short-range needs. Existing conditions and reestablishment of transit service in the area served by the Tuscaloosa County Parking and Transit Authority are discussed. Census and other available demographic data were studied and on-board bus survey conducted. Transit organization and operation were discussed and a recommended program delineated. Priorities, financial implications and funding alternatives were considered. Appendices include survey results, description of recommended route locations and the University of Alabama proposed shuttle schedule. Tables, figures and maps are numerous.
- Prepared for Tuscaloosa County Parking and Transit Authority. Technical Memoranda in report number UMTA-AL-09-0003-74-2.
Bartholomew (Harland) and Associates188 Jefferson Avenue
Memphis, TN USA 38103
- Publication Date: 1974-3
- Pagination: 114 p.
- TRT Terms: Census; Demographics; Financing; Public opinion; Route choice; Shuttle buses; Social values; Strategic planning; Surveys
- Old TRIS Terms: Community values
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00267019
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-AL-09-0003-74-1Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 28 1981 12:00AM