PLANNING MODE SELECTION AND ECONOMIC FESIBILITY REPORT-CHARLOTTE-HENRIETTA TRANSIT CORRIDOR-VOLUME I-PLANNING AND PRELIMINARY MODE SELECTION
The purpose of this report is to provide the necessary documentation by which an evaluation may be made of the economic and technical feasibility of the proposed Charlotte-Henrietta Rapid Transit System in Rochester, New York. The Charlotte-Henrietta Corridor is unique in that the proposed right-of-way is predominantly along existing railroad lines, thus minimizing the problems of land acquisition, relocation of residences and businesses, and the interference with existing transportation systems during construction or after implementation. The rapid transit system is also being designed to permit the continuance of existing freight service during nightime operations without interference to passenger operations. Presented are an analysis of present conditions, the determination of future transit requirements and an initial analysis of alternative transportation systems. Requirements for rapid transit are based on propulation projections, employment projections, existing land use, proposed land use plans, patronage projections and resultant service characteristics. The three alternative rapid transit modes which best satisfy all of the criteria established for Rochester were the grade separated conventional rail, light rail and busway system. Appendices include description of existing railroad lines, models and projections, initial transit system design and a theoretical concept for obtaining qualitative measures of mode effectiveness. Figures, tables, maps and photographs are numerous.
Rochester-Genesee Regional Transport AuthorityRochester, NY USA 14614
Corddry, Carpenter, Dietz, and ZackRochester, NY USA
- Publication Date: 1974-2
- Pagination: 318 p.
- TRT Terms: Freight transportation; Land use; Planning; Property acquisition; Rapid transit; Right of way (Land); Transportation corridors
- Old TRIS Terms: Land use effects
- Subject Areas: Economics; Freight Transportation; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00267012
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-NY-09-0006-74-1Tech Study
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 30 1981 12:00AM