FLEXIBLE PAVEMENTS, ITALY
In conjunction with the acquisition of bearing capacity data for a planned "road data bank", the possibility of automatic recording of bearing parameters by the wave propagation method was investigated, and an automatic system mounted in a station wagon was developed. In an attempt to modify the AASHO failure model to suit Swedish subgrades, a laboratory model experiment was designed in which subsoils were subjected to repeated loading, and the permanent rebound deformations were measured. Extensive studies of pavement wear due to studded tires are reported (which have been performed as follows: in a traffic simulator, on a test loop trafficked by an automobile, and by field measurements) which reveal that the specific wear SPS for ordinary asphaltic concrete on roads with mixed traffic in Sweden is usually between 50 to 100 metric tons of removed surface material per million vehicle kilometers (vehicles with 4 studded tires and a pavement bulk denisty of 2.3 g/cm (cube) being assumed).
- Presented at the XIVth World Road Congress, Prague, Czechoslovakia, 1971.
Permanent International Assoc of Road Congresses43 Avenue du President Wilson
Paris 16eme, France
- Centolani, G
- Della Scala, F
- Giannini, F
- Ferrari, M
- Publication Date: 1971
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 31 p.
- TRT Terms: Automation; Bearing capacity; Deformation; Failure; Field tests; Flexible pavements; Laboratory studies; Loads; Mathematical models; Pavement design; Rebound; Studded tires; Subgrade (Pavements); Traffic simulation; Wave motion; Wear
- Uncontrolled Terms: Field measurements; Loading
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00265703
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Book II-13
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1975 12:00AM