FIELD STUDY OF THE COST AND PERFORMANCE OF A PRECAST PRESTRESSED COMPOSITE PAVEMENT ON U.S. HIGHWAY 14 BYPASS
Objectives of the study were to obtain (1) construction costs for the 900 foot long test section located on U.S. Highway 14 Bypass near Brookings, South Dakota, (2) Expansion and contraction characteristics, (3) Test data on structural performance, (4) Data on consolidation or pumping of the foundation material, and (5) Characteristics of the riding quality of this type pavement. Findings indicate that (1) the construction cost would be about $15.00 per square yard; (2) reflection cracks in the bituminous mat open and close seasonally without showing signs of pavement distress, (3) the stresses due to wheel loads and/or warping are unlikely to cause tension cracks in the prestressed panels and that the pavement structure seems entirely adequate for traffic conditions encountered in South Dakota. (4) consolidation of the subbase and subgrade, as well as pumping, are not evident. (5) the riding characteristics are somwhat less desirable than conventional pavements, however, riding quality has not diminished since the opening of the test section in the fall of 1968.
- Study sponsored by South Dakota Department of Highways. This study was conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Transportation, FHWA.
South Dakota State University, BrookingsDepartment of Civil Engineering, 122 Crothers Engineering Hall
Brookings, SD USA 57007-0495
- Larson, L J
- Publication Date: 1972-12-31
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 146 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction; Contraction; Costs; Cracking; Defects; Expansion; Pavement distress; Pavements; Pumps; Reflection cracking; Riding qualities; Stresses; Tension; Test sections
- Uncontrolled Terms: Construction costs
- Old TRIS Terms: Expansion (Construction phenomena); Tension cracks
- Subject Areas: Construction; Finance; Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00265510
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 639(67)
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1975 12:00AM