ZINC RESEARCH DIGEST
Interim and tentative results are reported of on-going research by project contractors and staff of the International Lead Zinc Research Organization, Inc., and related sources. Casting practice is described and the alloys and applications are reviewed of die cast zinc. Studies are reported of creep resistance and formability as well as the engineering properties of wrought zinc alloys. The results of tests of the stress relaxation properties of tapped holes in zinc castings are presented. It was found that the zinc-aluminum-magnesium alloy relaxed slightly more than the zinc-aluminum-copper-magnesium alloy and that the zinc-copper-titanium-chromium alloy did not show significant relaxation under all test conditions. Research programs for plating and finishing, and paint systems for zinc are reviewed. Efforts in the architectural field are reported which demonstrate the capabilities of zinc in a low-cost house design. Research in the galvanizing area covers a broad spectrum of subjects, including several projects directed to the improved use of galvanizing in commercial applications, and several projects directed to fundamental questions concerning the activity of silicon in semi-killed and killed steels. A discussion of corrosion prevention projects covers such aspects as galvanized fasteners, paint adhesion in coil coating, galvanized reinforcement in concrete, and galvanized hot and cold water pipes. Research in the use of zinc chemicals in the plastics and ceramics industries are reviewed. Work is reported in the development of improved wrought zinc alloys for dry cell batteries. Environmental health research projects directed towards the evaluation of the harmful effects of cadium are outlined.
International Lead Zinc Research Organization, Inc292 Madison Avenue
New York, NY United States 10017
- Publication Date: 1974
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 78 p.
- Issue Number: 32
- TRT Terms: Casting; Ceramic materials; Corrosion protection; Creep; Environmental impacts; Galvanizing; Paint; Plastics; Plating (Ships); Properties of materials; Reinforced concrete; Research; Silicon; Speed of sound; Testing; Zinc; Zinc alloys
- Old TRIS Terms: Paint system; Plating
- Subject Areas: Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Marine Transportation; Materials; Research;
- Accession Number: 00265364
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 29 1975 12:00AM