A SINGLE-WHEEL TRAILER FOR TIRE NOISE RESEARCH
A single-wheel trailer has been designed and built to study the origins of tire noise and its basic characteristics. The single test tire, nominally the 10.00/20 size usually mounted on large trucks and semitrailers, is located 12.2 m (40 ft) behind the rear axle of the towing vehicle to isolate it from other noise sources. Reflective surfaces that could interfere with noise measurements are minimized by the high, single-beam construction of the trailer. The towing vehicle is modified to reduce its noise and wake in the vicinity of the test tire, which can be loaded to 22.2 kN (5000 lb) by dead weights and rolled at expressway speeds.
New York, NY United States 10017
- Wilken, I D
- Hickling, R
- Wiknich, H V
- Publication Date: 1974-2
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Design; Measurement; Noise; Testing equipment; Tires; Trailers
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00265249
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE Paper No. 740109
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 16 1975 12:00AM