THE SUITABILITY OF SALT TOLERANT SPECIES FOR REVEGETATION OF SALINE AREAS ALONG SELECTED OHIO HIGHWAYS
Suitability of three salt tolerant species (Atriplex patula var. hastata, Hordeum jubatum, and Puccinellia distans), a marginally salt-tolerant species (Festuca elatior var. arundinacea, Kentucky-31-Fescue) for revegetation of salt affected soil was investigated. Lolium perenne (Perennial Rye) was used as a non-salt-tolerant control species. Field plots were located within a 40 mile study region along Interstate Highway 71 between Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio. Deicing salt application rates are given for the region. Extensive soil sampling was conducted. Methods and data regarding soil pH, moisture, total salinity, sodium, chloride, calcium and magnesium are presented. Methods and data regarding plant performance are given. Relationships are drawn between plant performance and field conditions. Productivity and sodium content of vegetation is given. Though leaching usually reduces levels of sodium and chloride, all areas sampled possessed levels normally outside the range favorable to plant growth. At sites severely affected by sodium accumulation the soil becomes hard, infiltration of water is reduced, soil moisture declines, and cover is damaged. Soil improvement and restoration of vegetation are suggested as immediate counter measures to be taken. Other implementation suggestions include reduction of salt application in affected areas, further evaluation of H. jubatum and P. distans, formation of a task force and monitoring program to assess deicing salt impact.
- Notice of NTIS Number Pending.
Ohio University, AthensDepartment of Botany
Athens, OH United States 45701
- Drysdale, F R
- Benner, D K
- Publication Date: 1973-8
- Pagination: 89 p.
- TRT Terms: Chlorides; Deicing chemicals; Leaching; Performance; Plants; Saline soils; Salts; Sampling; Sodium; Soils; Vegetation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Field performance
- Old TRIS Terms: Soil sampling
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00265067
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: OHIO-DOT-21-73
- Contract Numbers: State Job 14252(0)
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 9 1975 12:00AM