PENDULUM TESTS ON TRANSFORMER BASES FOR LUMINAIRE SUPPORTS
Energy absorbing characteristics of four cast aluminum transformer bases for luminaire supports were determined using a 2000 lb pendulum. Complete luminaire supports including the base, pole, mast arm, and simulated luminaire were tested. Velocity of the pendulum at impact was 20 mph. High-speed photography was used as the primary source of data acquisition. Change in momentum of the pendulum during impact was used to characterize the behavior of the bases. Details of the data analysis procedure and their influence on the results are discussed. /FHWA/
- Notice of NTIS Number Pending.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
- Buth, E
- Hirsch, T J
- Marquis, E L
- Button, J W
- Publication Date: 1973-4
- Pagination: 53 p.
- TRT Terms: Aluminum alloys; Data collection; Energy absorbing materials; High speed photography; Luminaires; Momentum; Pendulum tests; Transformers
- Old TRIS Terms: Cast aluminum alloys; Energy absorbers
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00265065
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: TTI 146-9 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 2-8-68-146
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 9 1975 12:00AM