RE-CYCLED ASPHALT CONCRETE RESEARCH PROJECT FOR MCCARRAN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
A test section (a jet blast protection pad approximately 250' by 130') was paved with re-cycled asphalt concrete to determine if it could meet all of the F.A.A. Specifications for P-401 Bituminous Surface Course. The asphalt concrete was obtained from a discarded pile of old asphalt concrete torn up from a runway. The material was crushed and separated by a screening unit into three sizes. A belt feeder with adjustable gates recombined the required proportion of each size material prior to introduction into the Thermomatic plant. Samples of each of the three sizes of crushed material were tested for gradation and asphalt content. Details are given of the mix design and the results of extraction and gradation tests performed on the re-cycled asphalt mix are appended. The results of Marshall tests performed on field samples of the mix are tabulated. The results are also presented of field density tests taken on the recycled asphalt pavement using a Troxler Nuclear Density Gauge. A review of the test data indicates that the use of recycled asphalt can meet all of the F.A.A. specifications for P-401 Bituminous Surface Course. Visual inspection of the test section shows that the pavement is virtually indistinguishable from that of original asphalt pavement.
McCarran International AirportP.O. Box 1005, Airport Station
Las Vegas, NV USA 89111
- Tisoher, K J
- Publication Date: 1974-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregate gradation; Airport runways; Asphalt; Asphalt concrete; Bituminous mixtures; Density; Energy; Energy resources; Inspection; Marshall test; Measurement; Measuring instruments; Mix design; Nuclear engineering; Recycling; Research; Specifications; Test sections; Testing; Visual perception
- Uncontrolled Terms: Energy crisis
- Old TRIS Terms: Bituminous stabilized mixtures; Density measurement; Gradation analysis; Nuclear applications
- Subject Areas: Construction; Energy; Highways; Materials; Pavements; Research;
- Accession Number: 00264479
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 19 1974 12:00AM