AXLE GEAR NOISE QUALITY INSPECTION
A gear tester has been developed that can predict the relative level of axle noise in the cab of a truck. This paper documents the development in five parts: establishing the characteristics of noise generated by the axle in the cab of a small gas powered truck, developing a viable gear tester for the noise quality measurement of spiral bevel gear sets, establishing correlation between gear tester ratings and in-truck ratings of axle noise, testing a random sample of gears to determine the population's noise quality distribution, and predicting the errors associated with using the gear tester in quality control.
New York, NY United States 10017
- Bair, J J
- Publication Date: 1974-2
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Automotive engineering; Axles; Cabs (Vehicle compartments); Gears; Quality control; Sound level
- Old TRIS Terms: Bevel gears; Quality control testing
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00264190
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE Paper No. 74010
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 31 1974 12:00AM