DESCRIPTION OF THE VOLKSWAGEN RESTRAINT AUTOMATIC (VW-RA) USED IN A FLEET TEST PROGRAM
The paper describes a new passive restraint system, the Volkswagen Restraint Automatic (VW-RA). The system consists of an upper torso belt and an energy-absorbing knee bolster. The operation of the system is automatic as it is attached to the door of the vehicle. The comparison with the three-point belt having a vehicle-sensitive locking retractor and airbag systems shows that the overall performance of the VW-RA is superior to the other systems. A fleet test of 50 vehicles in the United States will determine acceptability to the consumer.
New York, NY USA 10017
- Sieffert, U
- Oehm, K
- Paitula, H
- Publication Date: 1974-3
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Compact automobiles; Evaluation; Manual safety belts; Passive restraint systems; Restraint systems; Safety equipment; Testing
- Old TRIS Terms: Automatic safety equipment; Passenger restraints; Passive protection devices; Small car
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00264076
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE Paper No. 740046
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 16 1975 12:00AM