TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS: NOISE GENERATION AND ABATEMENT
This report deals with the amount and intensity of transportation systems noise generation, along with efforts used to lessen the impact of noise. An introductory discussion of the physics of noise and noise measurement is given to help the reader in understanding how noise impact is analyzed. Transportation planners and designers must be aware of the noise assault any proposed system will have on the environment. The mandate for this stems from the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 and the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1970; the first requires assessment of all Federally funded projects to determine any adverse impacts on environment and the second, aimed at highways that are Federally funded, requires noise abatement of any proposed road that hasn't received approval before first section deals with a general overview of physical phenomena associated with noise as sound energy, the physiological effects of noise. The second deals with the psychological effects. The third topic considers various major transportation systems (with primary emphasis on highway networks) and the noise they generate. Also considered are methods that can be used to abate transportation noise. Among noise sources discussed are noise from rubber tire vehicles, traffic noise, noise and vibration in rail transportation, and aircraft noise and sonic boom. References are furnished. Appendices include FHWA PPM 90-2, HUD Circular 1390.2, and FHWA Computer Simulation. /UMTA/
University of Wisconsin, MilwaukeeCenter for Urban Transportation Studies, 3200 North Cramer Street
Milwaukee, WI United States 53211
- Hartl, F B
- Publication Date: 1974-2
- Pagination: 142 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft noise; Environmental impacts; Noise; Noise control; Physiological aspects; Psychological aspects; Sonic boom; Traffic noise; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Society;
- Accession Number: 00264034
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-WI-11-0003-742 Univ. Res.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 31 1974 12:00AM