DESCRIPTION AND CLASSIFICATION OF FROZEN SOILS
The description and classification of frozen soils is presented as an extension of the Unified Soil Classification System adopted by the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers and the U. S. Bureau of Reclamation in 1952. Descriptions, based on physical appearance, are nongenetic and are applicable to both naturally and artificially frozen soils. Field identification data pertaining to frozen soils and those pertinent properties of frozen materials which can be measured by physical tests are indicated. Also, guides are presented for construction on soils subject to freezing and thawing. The report includes photographic illustrations of frozen soil types; a chart showing relationships between unit dry weight of soil, water content, and ice volume; and an example of graphical presentation of frozen soil data. /AUTHOR/
- Conducted for Corps of Engineers, U. S. Army.
Hanover, NH USA 03755-1290
- Linell, K A
- Kaplar, C W
- Publication Date: 1966-8
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Charts; Construction; Freezing; Frozen soils; Graphics; Physical properties; Soil types; Thaw
- Uncontrolled Terms: Graphical analysis; Soil classification
- Subject Areas: Construction; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00263479
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: TR-150 Tech Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 13 1974 12:00AM