FACTORS INFLUENCING ALCOHOL SAFETY ACTION PROJECT POLICE OFFICERS' DWI ARRESTS.
This report summarizes the results of a study to determine the factors influencing ASAP police officers' DWI arrests and the formulation of approaches to minimize the influence of those factors which might tend to constrain the arrest of persons who appear to be driving under the influence of alcohol and augment those factors which might support a decision to arrest. The study was carried out during a series of 16 visits to selected ASAP sites. During the visits, officers and supervisors were interviewed in-depth while performing their duties to determine what factors impacted on their DWI arrest decisions. Verification interviews were held with local court personnel, police administration ASAP staff and others to develop input parameters for programs to improve officer performance. This survey was followed by the development of recommendations designed to address the factors identified during the site visits.
- Record URL:
Young (Arthur) and CompanyBethesda, MD United States
- Publication Date: 1974-4-29
- Features: Tables;
- Pagination: 137 p.
- TRT Terms: Arrests; Behavior; Decision making; Drivers; Drunk driving; Police; Surveys
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00263236
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT HS 801 151 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-123-3-774
- Files: NTL, TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 12 1974 12:00AM