http://www.trb.org/AnnualMeeting/AnnualMeeting.aspx
Register for the TRB 99th Annual Meeting: Register Now

MARINE BALANCED-CONSTRUCTION THRUST BEARINGS WITH INDIVIDUAL LUBRICATION

A method has been developed for individual lubrication of marine thrust bearings of balanced construction (Kingsbury) type. The method simplifies the lubrication process and broadens the use of this type of bearing. The Kingsbury bearing has several advantages in comparison with the fixed thrust Mitchel bearing. It has a higher percentage of useful bearing surface, smaller size, lower specific pressure, easier installation, and fewer centering problems. Its use was previously limited by the need for additional lubrication equipment. With the new method, an auxiliary feed of cool oil is provided to the upper bushings by mounting a special oil stripper over the thrust collar. This stripper guides 80 percent of the oil to the cushions and the other 20 percent to the support bearings. To provide effective mixing of the oil, an apron is attached to the lower part of the collar. A test on 40 bearings of icebreakers confirmed the effectiveness of this method.

  • Authors:
    • Zinchenko II
  • Publication Date: 1968

Media Info

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00014954
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: Joint Publications Research Service
  • Files: TRIS
  • Created Date: May 7 1974 12:00AM