SUBCOMPACT VEHICLE TESTS WITH INFLATABLE RESTRAINTS. VOLUME I: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
A test project was conducted to gather information on the performance potential of inflatable occupant restraint systems (IORS) in subcompact sedans in full scale vehicle crash conditions. Twelve barrier impact tests were performed with 1972 Ford Pinto vehicles, two of these using lap/shoulder belt restraint systems for dummies and the remaining ten using two different types of IORS. Data were compared to FMVSS 208 requirements, evaluated for repeatability, and analyzed for occupant injury potential. Acquired on each test were electronic data for vehicle and dummy responses, normal (sound-speed) and high-speed movie coverage, and 35 mm black-and-white photographs and slides.
- See also Volume 2: Technical Report, PB-230902/9, PC $6.50/MF $2.25; Volume 2: Appendix D; Part 1: Baseline Tests, PB-230903/7, PC $4.75/MF $2.25; Volume 2: Appendix D: Part 2; Olin System Tests, PB-230904/5, PC $10.25/MF $2.25; Volume 2: Appendix D: Part 3: Rocket Research System Tests; PB-230905/2, PC$9.25?mf $2.25.
Agbabian Associates250 North Nash Street
El Segundo, CA USA 90245
- McKibben, J S
- Barclay, B
- Publication Date: 1973-12
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 47 p.
- TRT Terms: Compact automobiles; Crash injury research; Dummies; Impact tests; Manual safety belts; Performance tests; Restraint systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Inflatable devices; Occupant restraint; Passenger restraints
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00262674
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/HS 801 003 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-066-1-185
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 27 1974 12:00AM