REPORT ON THE US-USSR WORKING GROUP ON THE ENHANCEMENT OF THE URBAN ENVIRONMENT. SECOND JOINT SESSION
The second meeting of the Joint US-USSR Working Group on the Enhancement of the Urban Environment was held in the Soviet Union from Nov. 18 to Dec. 1, 1973. Following three days of discussions in Moscow, the American delegates visited Leningrad, Togliatti, Tashkent and Samarkand. The delegation then returned to Moscow for further joint discussions, preparation of the list of joint projects to be carried out during 1974, and the signing of a joint protocol. The joint discussions included the continuation of exchanges of information begun during the first joint meetings in the United States in April 1973. The topics discussed were: comprehensive planning and development, construction in permafrost area, solid waste management, noise abatement and control, urban transportation, historic preservation, and new communities. At the instigation of the US delegation, discussions also were held on recreation zones and housing management. The visit to Leningrad was focused on the work of the Leningrad Zonal Scientific Research and Design Institute for the Design of Experimental and Standardized Residential and Public Buildings, particularly design and construction in the far north, and on the preservation of the city's historic buildings. In Togliatti, the focus was on the planning and development of the city as a new community and as the basis of the USSR's largest automobile plant. The visit to Tashkent was primarily concerned with the rebuilding of the city following the earthquake of 1966; that to Samarkand, with the preservation of its historic Moslem tombs and public buildings. Following its return to Moscow, the American team held intensive discussions with its Soviet counterpart regarding the program for 1974. The US delegation also reported its impressions of its trip and the problems faced by Soviet planners. Its report stimulated an informative exchange of views. /Author/
- This report is from the Second Joint Session held in Moscow, USSR, November 18-December 1, 1973.
Department of Housing and Urban DevelopmentOffice of International Affairs
Washington, DC United States 20410
- Publication Date: 1973-12
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 60 p.
- TRT Terms: City planning; Conferences; Environmental impacts; Historic preservation; Housings; Information management; Information organization; New towns; Noise control; Permafrost; Recreation; Solid waste disposal; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Planned communities
- Old TRIS Terms: Permafrost regions
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Environment; Highways; History; Society;
- Accession Number: 00262648
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 27 1974 12:00AM