TRIPS AND PARKING RELATED TO LAND USES. VOLUME I SUMMARY
By surveying person trips by all modes to and from individual premises this study has derived flow patterns and parking demands for many employment establishments. At the same time interviews of a sample of persons who entered the premises provided information on the type of trip (firms or private business, as employee or visitor) the distance and mode of travel, and the land uses at trip origins. Most of the survey was done in Christchurch. From all this information establishments have been grouped according to their trip generating and trip type characteristics for descriptive purposes. A reconciliation between the surveys of this study and home questionnaire trip attraction models of the Christchurch comprehensive transport study has been achieved. The study results in a positive link at last being placed between transportation modelling at the zone generation level on one side and the traffic patterns related to individual traffic generators on the other. The study confirms that for residential, office and industrial uses, present transport survey trchniques appear to be reliable as far as vehicle modes of travel are concerned. Shopping trips by vehicle and also pedestrian and bicycle trips to shops and offices definitely appear to be under-reported in the standard home questionnaire survey. Regarding the choice of mode for the trip to work, the information collected here does not assist in understanding this problem and it appears that it lies largely in areas of sociological consideration. Volume 1 summarises the conclusions of the study and also reconciles this information with transport study modelling in Christchurch. Volumes 2 and 3 include more detail, with appendices, of the results of the surveys. Volume 2 - parking demand. Volume 3 - trip generation.
Road Research Unit, New ZealandP.O. Box 12041
Wellington, New Zealand
- DOUGLASS, M
- Publication Date: 1973
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- Volume: 1
- Issue Number: 15/1
- TRT Terms: Land use; Mathematical models; Mode choice; Parking demand; Questionnaires; Surveys; Traffic flow; Transportation; Travel patterns; Trip generation; Trip purpose; Work trips
- Uncontrolled Terms: Traffic patterns; Transportation models
- Old TRIS Terms: Land use surveys; Modal selection
- ITRD Terms: 285: Demand (econ); 663: Generated traffic; 9147: Interview; 698: Journey; 696: Journey purpose; 621: Journey to work; 356: Land use; 8079: New zealand; 955: Parking; 676: Traffic survey; 1145: Transport mode
- Subject Areas: Economics; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00262601
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: R&D Rept.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 9 1975 12:00AM