STATE-OF-ART CAR DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM VOLUME I: DESIGN, FABRICATION AND TEST
As systems manager for the Urban Mass Transportation Administration's Urban Rapid Rail Vehicle and Systems Program, the Boeing Vertol Company is supervising the design, fabrication and testing of two new State-of-the-Art Cars (SOAC) with the objective of demonstrating the current state-of-the-art in rail rapid transit vehicle technology. Passenger convenience and operating efficiency are primary goals for the cars. Built by the St. Louis Car Division of General Steel Industries, the SOAC features a DC-DC chopper in the propulsion system, separately excited DC traction motors, all-steel construction (with molded fiberglass ends), and vandal-resistant and fire-retardant materials in the interior. This volume, Volume 1 of a two-volume report, covers the development program through engineering testing; including data on design and performance, propulsion and braking, subsystems, test program, mockup and demonstration programs, and economic analysis. Volume 2 will report on operational tests and evaluations to be performed in revenue service in New York, Boston, Cleveland, Chicago and Philadelphia.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/IT060026
Boeing Vertol CompanySurface Transportation Systems Department, P.O. Box 16858
Philadelphia, PA USA 19142
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Pagination: 182 p.
- TRT Terms: Braking; Design; Economic analysis; Economic efficiency; Passenger comfort; Performance; Propulsion; Railroad cars; Railroad transportation; Rapid transit; State of the art studies; Technology; Vehicle power plants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency; Propulsion systems
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Highways; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00262573
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- ISBN: IT-06-0026
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-06-0026-74-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-10007
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 19 1982 12:00AM