ESTIMATION OF THE INERTIAL PROPERTY DISTRIBUTION OF THE HUMAN TORSO FROM SEGMENTED CADAVERIC DATA
Presented here is a statistical estimation of the inertial property distribution of the human torso, based on analysis of the data obtained from segmented cadaveric trucks. Details are given of the method in which seven embalmed cadaver trucks were sectioned into horizontal segments each containing one vertebra. The weight, the center of gravity and the mass moment of inertia about each of the three principal axes were determined for each of the segments. The demographical and pertinent anthropometric data of the cadavers are tabulated. The preparation of the cadaver is described. Details are given of the experimental procedure and of the data analysis (regression analysis) and results. The biochemical data obtained represent an important part of the input parameter needed for the implementation of a new generation of multi-degree-of-freedom discretic parameter or continuous parameter models of the human torso. Since only eight cadavers and ten volunteers were involved, the data have small sample statistical significance. Weaknesses in the present study are noted. Previous studies in this field are outlined and the observation is made that this present study on inertial-property estimation based on weigh, height, and certain breadth and width dimensions is the best available.
- Reprinted from Perspectives in Biomedical Engineering R.M. Kenedi, editor.
Strathcylde UniversityGeorge Street
Glasgow WC1, ZZ Scotland
- Liu, Y K
- Wickstrom, J K
- Publication Date: 1973-12
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 213 p.
- TRT Terms: Anthropometry; Cadavers; Center of gravity; Degrees of freedom; Demographics; Height; Human beings; Inertia (Mechanics); Mass; Mathematical models; Methodology; Moments (Mechanics); Statistical analysis; Weight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Experimental data; Models
- Old TRIS Terms: Moments
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00262486
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 12 1974 12:00AM