C & NW PINPOINTS ITS DERAILMENT PROBLEMS
Chicago & North Western is taking an electronic approach to the prevention of derailments by determining the precise locations where track conditions are conducive to rock-and-roll wheel uplift. The system measures track deviations in cross level and alignment and relates their combined effect in producing rock-and-roll action that will cause a car's wheels to lift from the rail at a critical speed. Pick-up device includes two gyroscopes, one sensitive to the roll axis of the axle and the other to the turn axis. Both are in fixed position with respect to the axle.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/1586268
- See also Railway Track Structures, Vol. 67, No. 11, Nov. 1971, pp 22-24.
Simmons-Boardman Publishing CorporationP.O. Box 350
Bristol, CT USA 06010
- Publication Date: 1971-11-8
- Pagination: 2 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Derailments; Railroad tracks; Safety; Train track dynamics
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00050367
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 24 1976 12:00AM