A MANUAL FOR USING THE HIGHWAY NOISE ANALYSIS PROGRAM "NOISESIM"
The purpose of this manual is to provide a detailed methodology for using a computer program adapted from one presented in National Cooperative Highway Research Program Report 78. The contracting firm (with NCHRP) was Bolt, Beranek and Newman of Van Nuys, California. According to the firm, the computer program was a spin off of its basic research project on highway noise measurement and simulation. However, the authors of this present report found that after several modifications the program was a valuable tool for simulating the noise levels of proposed highway projects. While the authors recognize that the approach described in this manual is a first step in the evaluation of highway noise, it is substantially better than avoiding the problem of highway noise altogether in the analysis of the environmental impact of proposed highway projects. Currently, the procedure that is followed in evaluating the noise levels of new highways or proposed improvement projects is to select a specific building location on the plans for analysis. All necessary data required as inputs to the computer program "Noisesim" are obtained directly from the plans for the selected location. The current noise levels are also measured at the plan site locations. The procedure given in this manual will enable the Department to compare the levels presently experienced by residents of an area to the predicted noise levels for the new highway.
- Record URL:
- The Virginia Highway Research Council is sponsored jointly by the Virginia Department of Highways and the University of Virginia.
Virginia Highway Research CouncilCharlottesville, VA United States
- Walton Jr, L E
- Carpenter, W A
- Mitterer, W
- Heister, R L
- Publication Date: 1971-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Environmental impacts; Forecasting; Highways; Manuals; Simulation; Sound level; Traffic noise
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00261346
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: VHRC 71-R8
- Files: NTL, TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 22 1974 12:00AM