ORGANIZATION FOR CONTINUING URBAN TRANSPORTATION PLANNING
DURING THE WEEK OF 14--18 NOVEMBER 1971 THE HIGHWAY RESEARCH BOARD CONVENED A CONFERENCE AT MT. POCONO, PA., UNDER THE SPONSORSHIP OF THREE AGENCIES OF THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE TRANSPORTATION AND TWO PRIVATE ASSOCIATIONS TO EXAMINE MEANS FOR COORDINATING TRANSPORTATION PLANNING WITH COMPREHENSIVE AND ORDERLY DEVELOPMENT OF METROPOLITAN AREAS. CHANGES THAT HAD TENDED TO RENDER TRADITIONAL TRANSPORTATION PLANNING APPROACHES UNRESPONSIVE WERE IDENTIFIED, CONFERENCE THEMES WERE DEVELOPED IN WORKSHOPS, WORKSHOP REPORTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS WERE PRESENTED IN PLENARY SESSION, AND FINDINGS AND RECOMMENDATIONS WERE ADOPTED BY THE CONFERENCE AS A WHOLE. THE MAJOR TOPICS ADDRESSED WERE ORGANIZATION FOR METROPOLITAN PLANNING, THE PLANNING PROCESS, PLAN IMPLEMENTATION, CITIZEN PARTICIPATION, ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT, AND FUNDING. ADOPTED RECOMMENDATIONS IN THESE AREAS ARE PRESENTED ALONG WITH A DISCUSSION OF EACH.
- Record URL:
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Conference on Organization for Continuing Urban Transportation Planning
- Location: Mt Pocono Pennsylvania, United States
- Date: 1971-11-14 to 1971-11-18
- Publication Date: 1973
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 29 p.
- Highway Research Board Special Report
- Issue Number: 139
- Publisher: Highway Research Board
- TRT Terms: City planning; Environmental impacts; Financing; Planning; Public relations; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Public support
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00242488
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Jul 17 1973 12:00AM