Highway safety for road users is being improved because new guardrail technologies and barrier developments are beginning to come to market. These new barrier and guardrail developments offer better visibility to alert drivers with better restraint. Cable barriers are widely used because they are easy to install and offer good redirection for cars and trucks. In the event of an impact, these new steel and cable barriers allow the guardrail to rise up so that the vehicle cannot go over it. The article presents many new applications from vendors around the world.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/25073860
- This article was published online with the title: "New Barriers are Helping Improve Road Safety."
- Woof, Mike
- Publication Date: 2014-6
- Media Type: Print
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: pp 47-48, 50
- TRT Terms: Barriers (Roads); Cables; Guardrails; Highway safety; Single vehicle crashes; Technological innovations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Redirection (Impacting vehicle)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; I82: Accidents and Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 01536284
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 23 2014 2:15PM