Operational Structural Performances of Bridge Types by Deterioration Trends
This paper demonstrates the analysis of the deterioration trends of the various types of bridge structural design and/or construction in the entire U.S. National Bridge Inventory, to derive and compare operational structural performances. The approach considers the trends of the proportional accumulation of deterioration by bridge types, based on the concept of structural deficiency and the objective of life-cycle expectancy at the serviceability limit states. The analysis determines the rate and pattern of the deterioration trends. The multiple-criteria diagnostic approach integrates the rate and pattern performances with the condition, durability, and longevity performances to determine the overall equivalent structural performances using prioritized weights. This study produces the most comprehensive national network-level comparative basis of the operational structural performances of bridge types under the actual circumstances. The deterioration trend performances of most bridge types are relatively lower. Also, the overall equivalent structural performances of almost all bridge types are lower. The analysis also helps identify critical accumulation of deterioration for bridge types, suggesting focused improvement efforts necessary for existing and future bridges. The most common stringer/multibeam or girder bridges have relatively higher and faster accumulation of deterioration, generating a below average trend and equivalent structural performances. The results help predict future performances and improve effectiveness of bridge types for sustainable service life.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/08873828
- © 2014 American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Farhey, Daniel N.
- Publication Date: 2015-4
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 04014056
- TRT Terms: Bridge construction; Bridge design; Deterioration; Durability; Girder bridges; Performance based specifications; Service life; Structural design; Structural health monitoring; Types of bridges
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Materials; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls; I53: Construction of Bridges and Retaining Walls;
- Accession Number: 01534504
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, ASCE
- Created Date: Jul 22 2014 3:04PM